Friday Food Tip: Makin Bacon!

Hello, I am a health nut and I love bacon.  Sounds like an oxymoron?  To some yes but not to me!  Trust me, it took some time to unravel my mind from what I thought I knew about health and that of course meant that bacon was a no-no.  Let me help you start your weekend off right by telling you a secret: Bacon is a part of a healthy diet!  Now trust me, I know there is plenty of controversy out there and I could throw facts and figures at you - but it's Friday.  Yes bacon is loaded with fat but no fat doesn't make you fat.  Yes it contains cholesterol but no it doesn't increase YOUR cholesterol.  It took me a long time to accept this and I am going to do my best to find information that you can read further if you'd like.  But in the meantime, enjoy your bacon.  Let me share a really easy and quick mess free way to make it.

(My intention is to include step by step photos anytime I post anything about making food but alas, the camera is lacking batteries.  Come on you know how hard it is to get out of the house and actually find AA batteries.  Ok ok, so it's not.  I just keep forgetting.)

1.  Line a baking sheet with foil, turning up the edges just a bit to catch the dripping grease.
2.  Lay your strips of bacon side by side in a single layer on the foil.

3.  Place it in on the second rack from the top in the oven (the top works great too but I find it sets off the smoke alarm because of the jumping grease landing on the broiler above, oops).

4.  Set broiler to high and let 'er cook for about 5 minutes (for a full sheet of bacon).

5.  Once the edges start to curl, remove your pan and flip over each bacon piece.  Put it back in the broiler for finish for another 5 minutes or longer if you like it really crispy.

6.  Remove to a paper towel lined plate (the bacon, not the baking sheet!) and ENJOY.




Truly the best way I have found to make bacon.  You can then either save you grease for cooking later (again, more info to come on why this is NOT going to kill you or cause a heart attack) or wait for it to cool and harden and toss it along with the foil.  You will be left with a pretty clean baking sheet and a nice full tummy.  Enjoy!  I see a Mother's Day brunch with BACON and plenty of it in your future!


No comments:

Post a Comment